1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
- baru-jigaloo likes this
- zingizi reblogged this from useculture
- zabysmind likes this
- turtlewangs likes this
- turtlewangs reblogged this from ritzyyyy
- nightmomma reblogged this from secretgaygent
- thealexhagans likes this
- ritzyyyy reblogged this from secretgaygent
- ritzyyyy likes this
- secretgaygent reblogged this from zingizi
- suvianniinas reblogged this from zingizi
- suvianniinas likes this
- misterngu likes this
- misterngu reblogged this from flinch-nerds
- cultured-youth likes this
- rwledify likes this
- friends-with-ghosts reblogged this from useculture and added:
- delavive reblogged this from kilgore-vonntrout
- kilgore-vonntrout reblogged this from theatlantic
- erlbomb likes this
- autosurfer likes this
- hel-le-na reblogged this from theatlantic
- randomdiamonds likes this
- resourcesresource reblogged this from obamasbutt
- gai1peck likes this
- minijette likes this
- deeceetee78 likes this
- shawill85 reblogged this from nerd4music
- shawill85 likes this
- vtalis likes this
- marleyspeaking likes this
- nerd4music reblogged this from brassparker
- jingjuuu reblogged this from useculture
- kuwabaraisaman reblogged this from jadziwine
- kuwabaraisaman likes this
- sseeminglyharmless likes this
- erchills likes this
- anitajainrants likes this
- jadziwine reblogged this from brassparker
- jadziwine likes this
- o0brownsugar0o reblogged this from brassparker
- o0brownsugar0o likes this
- jnlnyaface likes this
- queenleighs likes this
- brassparker reblogged this from theatlantic
- hagarosman likes this
- pensamiento-serpentino likes this
- vida-escarlate reblogged this from revolutionary-afrolatino
- vida-escarlate likes this
- conditionalcommitment likes this